The body as evidence of the soul in Plato’s Gorgias
We intend to point out that in the Gorgias, dialogue devoted to the critique of rhetoric, Socrates' frequent allusions to the body's complexion, and the recurrent use of corporeal metaphors to refer to what, by analogy, happens to the soul, function as a rhetoric tool in order to oppose Gorgias' own rhetoric. Thus, while drawing attention to the way Plato uses the weapons of the adversary precisely to attack him, we emphasize the indispensable role of the body as evidence of the soul in Platonic philosophy. Therefore, our intent is to reinforce the interpretive strand according to which Plato can be understood more as a thinker who departs from the pressing problems of his time in order to lead us into philosophical reflections – in the presente dialogue, the political consequences of a paideia oriented by sophistic rhetoric –, than as a philosopher solely commited to a transcendent metaphysics.
BLONDELL, R. (2002). They play of Character in Plato’s dialogues. Cambrigde, Cambrigde University Press.
COELHO, M. C. (1999). Górgias. Elogio de Helena. São Paulo, Cadernos de Tradução do Departamento de Filosofia da USP.
DERRIDA, J. (2005). A Farmácia de Platão. São Paulo, Iluminuras.
FONTES, L. M. (2017). Górgias: Testemunhos e Fragmentos (tradução). In: DINUCCI, A. (org.). Górgias de Leontinos. São Paulo, Oficina do Livro.
IGLÉSIAS, M. (2011). Platão. Eutidemo. 2ed. Rio de Janeiro, Editora PUC-RIO/Loyola.
LEVIN, S. B. (2001). The ancient quarrel between philosophy and poetry revisited: Plato and the Greek literary tradition. New York, Oxford University Press.
LOPES, R. N. (2014). Górgias de Platão. São Paulo, Perspectiva.
NIGHTINGALE, A. W. (1995). Genres in dialogue: Plato and the constructo of philosophy. Cambrigde, Cambridge University Press.
NUNES, C. A. (2000). Platão. A República. 3ed. Belém, EDUFPA.
NUNES, C. A. (2011). Platão. Fédon. 3ed. Belém, EDUFPA.
PAULINELLI, D. (2009). Górgias. Elogio de Helena. Anágnosis. Disponível em: http://anagnosisufmg.blogspot.com/2009/11/elogio-de-helena-gorgias.html. Acesso em 26 de Maio de 2019.
PERINE, M.; REALE, G. (trads.) (2015). Aristóteles. Metafísica. 5ed. São Paulo, Loyola.
SANTOS, J. G. T. (2008). Para ler Platão: a ontoepistemologia dos diálogos socráticos. Vol. 1. São Paulo, Loyola.
Copyright (c) 2020 Maria Aparecida de Paiva Montenegro, Pedro Henrique Araújo Santiago
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Given the public access policy of the journal, the use of the published texts is free, with the obligation of recognizing the original authorship and the first publication in this journal. The authors of the published contributions are entirely and exclusively responsible for their contents.
1. The authors authorize the publication of the article in this journal.
2. The authors guarantee that the contribution is original, and take full responsibility for its content in case of impugnation by third parties.
3. The authors guarantee that the contribution is not under evaluation in another journal.
4. The authors keep the copyright and convey to the journal the right of first publication, the work being licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License-BY.
5. The authors are allowed and stimulated to publicize and distribute their work on-line after the publication in the journal.
6. The authors of the approved works authorize the journal to distribute their content, after publication, for reproduction in content indexes, virtual libraries and similars.
7. The editors reserve the right to make adjustments to the text and to adequate the article to the editorial rules of the journal.