Remediation of Nouvelles Impressions d’Afrique by Raymond Roussel: Functional Issue
Nouvelles Impressions d’Afrique is a book Raymond Roussel wrote in the 1920’s. This book uses many different structures. It is one of the most complex French literary works in constrained literature. The most evident constraint is the massive use of text blocks slotted in by sets of brackets. But there are many other structures based on dispersed rimes, semantic axes, homonyms, paronyms, numbers... Each is used to build long structures in the text. We have previously done a digital remediation of this work based on the transformation of the bracket structure into a hypertextual structure. In the current project, we want to explore another possibility that seems more efficient to discover the other structures. It consists in text animations that progressively develop and unfurl in time the structures from their initial node (the set, the rhymes...) to the final sentences. This kind of remediation is a “reading machine” of the work, not a digital version of the book because Roussel’s text will be the final state of the animation. We plan to configure the interface according to several structures so that the reader would choose between any of them. We present a functional online prototype applied to some of those structures, showing the concepts of the interface, how Nouvelles Impressions d’Afrique will be reconfigured and how a generated animation can help to read and understand constrained literature.
remediation, complex structures, reading machine, hypertext
- Abstract viewed = 100 times
- PDF viewed = 27 times
- HTML viewed = 30 times
SALCEDA, Hermes (1998). «Nouvelles Impressions d’Afrique de Raymond Roussel, des proses à procédés aux procédés à vers ». Théorie, Littérature, Enseignement 16: 65-86.
SALCEDA, Hermes (2007). «Nuevas Impresiones de África como hipertexto». REC-Revista de Erudición y Crítica 3: 117-121.
SALCEDA, Hermes (2009). «La désagrégation du langage et du monde dans Nouvelles Impressions d’Afrique». Formules: Revue des créations formelles 13:141-155.
SALCEDA, Hermes (2010). «Nouvelles Impressions d’Afrique comme livre illustré». Études littéraires 41:147-171.
SALCEDA, Hermes, Philippe Bootz, and María Inés Laitano (2014). «Nouvelles Impressions d’Afrique, les virtualités de la machine textuelle», Raymond Roussel, hier, aujourd’hui. Eds. Pierre Bazantay, Christelle Reggiani, Hermes Salceda. Rennes: Presses Universitaires de Rennes, Centre culturel In-ternational de Cerisy la Salle. 285-310.
SALCEDA, Hermes (2014). «Remédiatisation numérique de Nouvelles Impressions d’Afrique: d'un manipulable à l'autre». Raymond Roussel, hier, aujourd’hui. Eds. Pierre Bazantay, Christelle Reggiani, Hermes Salceda. Rennes: Presses Universitaires de Rennes, Centre culturel International de Cerisy la Salle. 311-339.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
MATLIT embraces full open access to all issues. Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal. The article can be quoted but not changed and presented differently.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- A CC licensing information in a machine-readable format is embedded in all articles published by MATLIT.
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.
- NoDerivatives — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you may not distribute the modified material.
- No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measuresthat legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
- You do not have to comply with the license for elements of the material in the public domain or where your use is permitted by an applicable exception or limitation.
- No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.